The positive benefits realized when an organization gives back to a community is not a new concept. With the breakneck pace of our business world coupled with a narrowing view of profitability, most companies today have lost sight of the organizational benefits of corporate volunteering; not to mention its ability to positively affect the bottom line.
We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone. ~ Ronald Regan
A study conducted by the CNCS titled “The Health Benefits of Volunteering: A Review of Recent Research,” established a strong positive correlation between volunteering and employee health and personal wellbeing. Active volunteers have lower mortality rates, greater functional ability, and lower rates of depression later in life than those who do not volunteer.
With rising health-care costs, companies are exploring all kinds of strategies to have a healthier work-force. There is a direct correlation of you giving back to others and your health. This also helps reduce both employer and employee related health care costs as people get healthier. When employees feel better, they enjoy coming into work, are more productive, and take better care of your customers.
To take it one step further, United Healthcare & Volunteer Match did a study titled “Do Good Live Well Study, Reviewing the benefits of volunteering.” Here are some key statistics they found:
Making a Positive Change
- 89% of volunteers say they make a difference.
- 80% say they create goodwill.
- 80% believe they are changing lives.
- 69% believe they are helping to unite a community.
- 93% of volunteers believe it keeps people physically active and 84% believe it improves physical health.
- 81% of volunteers believe they have control over their health (including any chronic conditions).
- Enriching their sense of purpose in life:
- 50% = strongly agree.
- 42% = somewhat agree.
- Improve their sense of well-being:
- 41% = strongly agree.
- 48% = somewhat agree.
- Important part of who they are:
- 43% = strongly agree.
- 42% = somewhat agree.
- 97% believe that one person can make a real difference.
- 96% believe it makes people happier.
- 95% believe it improves emotional health.
- 94% believe it builds self-esteem.
- 72% believe they have a better general outlook on life due to volunteering.
America’s Sense of Community
- 53% believe they are helping make their community a better place.
- 45% believe volunteering is a great opportunity to socialize.
- 50% believe they have developed new friendships.
- 39% believe they have learned valuable things about the world.
- 97% agree it is an important service to their community.
- 96% agree volunteering helps to create a stronger, healthier America.
The most worth-while thing is to try to put happiness into the lives of others. ~ Robert Baden-Powell
Improved Productivity and Team Building
When employees work on projects outside of the office, there are huge and meaningful team building opportunities. These situations create problem solving opportunities outside the work environment. The UK non-profit organization Employee Volunteering Community Interest Corporation published these talking points about volunteering:
- 97% of volunteers said our activities help develop a strong team
- 95% felt that volunteering had a positive influence on them
- 76% said it had a positive influence on how they feel about their employer
- 87% felt that volunteering improved their understanding of issues affecting their community
- 98% rated enjoyment as excellent or good – volunteering has to be fun!
In the end, everybody wins with a well-planned out volunteer program and strategy. Organizations win. Employees win. Morale soars. The community wins. And by giving of yourself you win. It’s a primal need; we were designed to serve others.
Everybody can be great…because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. ~ Dr. Martin Luther King
Volunteering and giving back to our community is a core principle here at Agape. This is why our mission is Serving people to help them exceed their needs while holding ourselves to a higher standard.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.